- We didn't find out Jack had DS until he was two weeks old when a very observant pediatrician questioned the shape of his eyes.
- Jack was born on time with no complications. We went home after 2 days.
- My Ultrasound did not pick up Jack's AV Canal Heart Defect, a defect specific to DS.
- Jack had Open Heart Surgery to repair his AV Canal at 8 months old.
- When I was pregnant with Jack, my AFP Quad Screen came back negative.
- Jack has ABA (Behavior Therapy) 12 hours week to address certain behaviors that make it difficult to function in the real world...it's the real deal...it is WORKING!
- Jack goes to a Special Day Class (Special Ed.) from preschool. Next year, we are looking for full inclusion.
- Our team Jammin' for Jack raises money and walks in our local Buddy Walk with many of our family and friends.
- I have met some of the most amazing moms and their children...all because I had Jack.
- It took my husband and I about a week to grieve the diagnosis once we found out...then we were moving forward.
- I found DownSyn when I was researching everything and anything I could find about DS while we were waiting for the test results to come back.
- I got pregnant with Jack when I was 30.
- Other than his heart surgery, Jack has had his Tonsil and Adenoids out and ear tubs in.
- Jack rolled over at 6 weeks, sat up one week after heart surgery at 8 months, army crawled at 12 months, pulled to a stand at 14 months, cruised at 16 months, and walked at 24 months. He hasn't slowed down since, LOL!
- Jack's first sign was "more." Two months later, he was up to 20 signs. At three, he was at over 100 signs. Now, at 4 1/2, he uses 3 and 4 word sentences.
- Raising Jack is more normal than not.
- Jack has non-disjunction Trisomy 21.
- I have found that I am soooooo excited at every milestone Jack meets. Our family celebrates the things we have always taken for granted with our other kiddos.
- Jack loves music and dancing...his favorite songs are "On Top of Spaghetti," "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Hot Dog Dance," and "California Gurls" by Katy Perry, LOL.
- Jack has lots of girlfriends. His best friend is Macy. They are two weeks apart in age, and they WILL get married, LOL.
- Our days are richer because we were blessed with our son Jack, who just so happens to have an extra chromosome. He has changed the hearts and minds of many.
Tuesday, October 05, 2010
31 for 21: 21 Things about Jack and Down syndrome
Here are 21 things about Jack and our family that have to do with Down Syndrome...