Friday, June 13, 2008

We are home...a good T & A story?

I have been nervous about this surgery. Lately, the only T & A stories I've heard have been recovery horror stories...this does not sit well with a mommy who already has a six-month old that keeps her up all night. The prospect of having another child up all night isn't appealing at all! However, Jack NEEDED this surgery so badly so that he can sleep better, feel better, attend get my point. I went in this morning ready for whatever came my way. John and I left our house at 4:15am to get to our check-in time at 5:00am. Jack was groggy and stayed close to daddy while we waited to go in.

When Nana arrived, he started to wake up to get some loves and ended up roaming the halls and flirting with the nurses! What a little ladies man!

He was first in at 6:10, and we all went and waited in the lobby. No sooner had I fed the baby a jar of bananas, they called us in to see the little man! He was done in 20 minutes! Whaaaaaatttttt?! John and I walked back to recovery only to find that our little guy was already awake! The doc was there, and said that it was a success. He said that Jack had a ton of fluid in his ears and the consistency was like jello! Eeeewwwww! Needless to say, he should be hearing A LOT better now! And oh yes, we got a picture. Ever seen Tonsils and Adenoids? Well, you're about to...GROSS! These are Jack's...nice, huh?!

He grabbed onto daddy really quick and pretty much held a death grip...He took a few sips of apple juice right away, and then a few minutes later, the crying started. I knew it couldn't be this easy! We gave him some morphine, but it didn't calm him down. The nurse thought he probably wanted his annoying IV off, so she pulled it out, handed us our discharge papers and off we went! We were home by 8:00! The second we pulled up to the house, Jack got a big smile on his face, and he went inside to watch Elmo, eat pancakes (Yes, I said pancakes!), a banana and milk. He ran around the house all morning acting like he never had surgery. Craziness! He conked out around 1:00 and has been asleep ever since. Now I know it's only the first half of the first morning of recovery, and I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm pretty optimistic. We'll keep you posted, but right now, I'm proud of my boy for how well he did!


Who we are: said...

He just gets cuter and cuter and so much bigger! I've really gotta make sure I see you guys next time I'm out there! And thanks for the gross picture of his "insides" LOL! Look a little like chicken nuggets! (does that gross YOU out? haha!)

The Balsis Family said...

Holy crap! 20 minutes! Payton was in there for like an hour, and then in recovery for an hour, and then we stayed the night in the PICU. LOL Good to hear he is doing so well!

Christina said...

Wow! He does sound like he did great! I hope it continues on! WTG Jack...and might I add he is CUTE!